petrol or diesel?

About the Regius or about whatever....

petrol or diesel?

Postby DavidG » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Petrol or deisel ? HELP! I have the choice of either a 2.7 petrol or a 3 litre tdi reguis and im trying to find out which is the best engine for economy comfort and reliability. is there anyone thats had one of these for a year or so ? DavidG
DavidG

Re: petrol or diesel?

Postby ben » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:40 pm

I'd go for the diesel myself, based on the fact that I had a diesel and it was wonderful.... but then maybe the petrol engine is good too.... I think the diesel's are a lot more common as well...
ben
Site Admin

Postby free as a bird » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:44 pm

one of the the main advantages with the diesel is with these engines you can use vegi oil :D
free as a bird

Postby jibber » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:44 pm

is that known to be bang on info about veggie oil, or internet talk, ie: people around here have done it? just that i would not want to mention it to the old chap to find there is a bit more to it...no offence intended, just want to make sure
jibber

Postby TONTO » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 am

I have got the diesel version and it's great, quiet and refined around town with plenty of poke of the line if required and a fantastic motorway engine i managed to average 27mpg with 7 on board at 75ish the weekend with plenty of power too spare. Toyota diesels have a reputation of being fairly bomb proof aswel (unless you try and drive them through a river sorry ben).

Rich
TONTO

Postby acer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:58 pm

i.d go for the diesel ,seems to be the most common if you need spares.i would guess that the diesel would be more economical although i don,t know what mpg you would get from a petrol engine.all i know is my diesel has tons of power and it can certainly get a wiggle on when i give it a boot full.
regds acer 8)
acer

Postby free as a bird » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:50 pm

jibber re your "remark" :evil: :evil: i don't post things that are not true. i notice you joined 2 days ago, how long have you had yours?? have you had toyota diesels yourself? try checking on the granvia site or the estima site. how do you know he is an old chap?? :wink: :wink:
free as a bird

Old chap!

Postby DavidG » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:05 pm

How very dare you ill have you know im a spring chicken! Haha,,,I'm not yet an owner,, thats why im asking for advice before i do buy. Im thinking i will get about 18-20 round town maybe 25-26 on a run. as i live in the london emission zone, im thinking ahead re converting to lpg as diesel may present a problem. a neighbour has a toyota estima 2.4 petrol and he says the mpg is as above. Does anyone know a good lpg conversion company in the essex area ? thanks for your responses folks just off to pick up my pension! DavidG
DavidG

Postby jibber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 am

maybe you should have read my whole post mr free as a bird, as i did indeed put at the end no offence intended, just wanted to make sure....
i was only double checking that an alternative fuel is safe....
is anybody around here running on vegetable oil???? not bio-diesel, but veg oil?
(was referring to my father as 'old chap')
jibber

Postby mentalmaggs » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Diesel has to be the way to go as engine is the same as landcruiser surf etc, 2.7 petrol is the same as???? So if it comes to spares with the diesel at least spares are readily available, you just do not want a rare import, believe me, it has taken me 6 months to get my Toyota Soarer VVTi sorted as there were only 1000 or so made nobody had bits for her and although you may have at a good price later down the line if you get probs you maybe fooked................
mentalmaggs

Postby Emma » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:52 am

Hi
I have a 2.7 petrol 4 wheel drive Regius Campervan and I have no problem getting it serviced though some parts can be expensive.

It pulls really well even though it is carrying quite a lot of gear when we go touring. We live in the Scottish Highlands and have taken it up some horrendously steep twisting road with no problems at all.

Like the 3.0 diesel, I think the petrol 2.7 is thirsty - getting at the very least 25mpg. I am not familiar with the London emissions problem looming but from what I read it doesn't apply to petrol engines so that could be a big plus.

Emma
Emma

Postby Astonchap » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:31 pm

We have sold around 200 Toyota Granvia & Regius in the last 5 years first of all the diesels then in the last 2 ½ years more the petrol. Before any of you scroll down to the bottom and see which one we prefer and recommend it s personal choice but we will stick our opinions in for both.

Most of you will be more accustomed to the diesel as primarily that was the one mostly imported in to the UK. The 3.0TD engine is as you all know out of the Landcruiser and Hi Lux surf and is a fantastic engine which will pull you up the side of a mountain. Parts are fairly easy to obtain but other than routine servicing it’s very rare they go wrong. Also everyone knows that for a diesel they are probably not as good on fuel as the European small vans like the VWT4/5 Renault Trafic and the D4D Toyota Powervan.

The petrol 2.7 was first used in the Granvia in 1995 and then in the Regius, its the same engine that is used in the petrol Landcruiser Prado and also the same engine used in the UK Toyota Powervan which was sold here till the end of 2003 so parts are no problem at all and like the diesel the Regius plugs in to Toyota’s diagnostic machine.

The petrol does the same to the gallon as the diesel HOWEVER there are a few plus points with the petrol.

The Petrol’s are more available in Japan than the diesel.

The petrol’s are cheaper to buy than the diesels and tend to have done less mileage for the same money.

The petrol’s are slightly cheaper to service.

We have a petrol demo van with 136,000 miles and in 2 years other than routine servicing all its had is a set of tyres.

A gallon of petrol is cheaper to buy than a gallon of diesel and as they do about the same to the gallon it makes the petrol cheaper to run.

All our Regius and Granvia we sell are registered as camper vans thus come under the future rules of the London low emission zone rules which means from next year the diesel will be banned from London where as the petrol will not. I STRESS THIS IS ONLY IF ITS REGISTERED AS A CAMPER VAN so at the moment doesn’t affect all the ones used as car/people carriers. So for our customers been petrol if a camper is an advantage over a diesel.

In terms of performance they are about the same, the diesel feels quicker but that’s probably because its a bit nosier, at speed the petrol is smoother but there is not much to choose between them. The diesel is better for towing but I tow a 1500 kg Hymer caravan with a petrol no problem.

If I had to choose I would have a petrol with LPG as you don’t lose any performance but if I had to have a diesel then it would be no problem

I think that because diesel has been the preferred choice over the years then people automatically presume that diesel is best. When people come to us we encourage them to drive diesel and petrol and after this 70% buy a petrol Regius, however if there was only diesel available I doubt we would lose many customers and 30% ish do prefer the diesels.

We hire out Granvia campers in New Zealand and these are 2.7 petrol and many of the hire companies in New Zealand have petrol’s and its more of an even 50-50 split between petrol and diesels, Australia also tend to have a more even amount of petrol and diesel.

All I would say to people is drive both before deciding but if you get a petrol on LPG then it’s a very cost effective vehicle to run.

I suppose the main thing for people deciding on what to get is whatever you do get a Regius (or Granvia) as they are one of the best small van type vehicles you can buy, it’s just a shame that they stopped making them in 2002.

David
Wellhouse Leisure.
Astonchap

Postby hiace man » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi David. Thought you were from Wellhouse Leisure as that's the advise I was given when I visited a few weeks ago.
It certainly made up my mind that a Regius was the right vehicle for me but I wasnt able to get a choice of engines as the model I wanted was the Windtourer with the quick release seats and I could only find one the the country, that being diesel.
Towing a 1700kg twin axle without bother was very pleasing although I sure the petrol would have coped just as well.
I would like to thank your staff for being really helpful and accommodating even though we didn't buy from yourselves.
For future reference, do you service the vehicles that you haven't sold, do you sell vehicles without them being converted to campers and have you any plans to import the Toyota Alphard?
Cheers. Simon.
hiace man

Postby Astonchap » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi Simon,

Yes we do servicing, MOT's, parts and bodywork on all vehicles especially models that we sell. In the next week or 2 I am going to put togther a list of what we can offer on the Regius but want to get it right and do it all in one post but as an idea we can supply used seats, carpets, curtains, roof bars, stereos, speedo faces, towbars, thermal cab screens, bike racks and we are going to start and bring in more body parts like tailgates, bumpers, bonnets and windscreens which we will make available for all to buy.

Because of the VOSA/DVLA rules on ESVA and camper vans we only sell Regius fully converted as camper vans.

We have a proper Toyota Japan parts book for the Regius with pictures and part numbers which covers the RCH40/41/46/47, we are looking at having these copied but we would need orders for at least 75 to be worth doing, however these are fantastic as you just give Toyota UK the part number and they will tell you if its a good number or not, no messing a round with them trying to find the vehicles on there system.

Re the Alphard, I look at these everytime I go to Japan and I think one day we will import them but they are more rounded than the Regius and won't be as good when converted in to a camper but still a really nice vehicle.

David.
Wellhouse Leisure.
Astonchap

Postby hiace man » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Nice to know there isn't any more worries about getting body panels as i wouldnt want to be without the car for ages should it get a bump.
Regarding the parts book, I would be willing to buy one.
Do you have the manuals or are the ebays ones just the same?
hiace man

Next

Return to General Chit Chat